I have been wanting to try a porchetta for a while, just hadn’t done it. I found some nice looking pork bellies at a local Asian market and decided to give it a shot.
- 3.5lb pork belly
- 2% salt by weight
- .25% #1 cure by weight
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Fresh cracked tellicherry peppercorns
- 4 days cure time under refrigeration
- 30hrs 145 degrees sous vide
- 12hrs dry time under refrigeration
- 6hrs cold smoke time with a mix of Alder and Hickory
- 1.5hrs roasting dry heat 475 degrees
I’ve skipped a few steps here, but basically, I spread my cure, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper on the flesh side of the belly, then rolled scored the skin, and tied.
After 4 days cure time, 30hrs sous vide 145 degrees, 12 hr dry time in the fridge, 6hrs cold smoking, this is what it looks like.
I then roasted it in the oven at 475 degrees, removing it periodically to baste in the sizzling fat.
I let it rest for about 5min then sliced.
There were actually a few leftovers!